Vojko Obersnel is born on 25th March 1957 in Rijeka. He graduated from the University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science in 1980, and completed his education by the Master’s Program in Biogenetics at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Zagreb as well as the Master’s Program in Science at the Faculty of Science of the University of Zagreb, thus acquiring the academic title of Master of Science.
Working experience :
• 1982/97 : Faculty of Medicine of the University of Rijeka : lecturer in several courses / research work in genetics and ecology / assistant in two scientific-researches / leader of a research in ecology
from 1984 : work at the Cytogenetics Laboratory of the Faculty of Medicine, diagnostics in biogenetics and biodosimetrics for public health institutions of the Primorje – Gorski Kotar County and the Istrian County
• 1997/2000 : Member of the Rijeka City Government, in charge of public health and social welfare ; Coordinator of the “Rijeka Healthy City” project – in 1998 Rijeka became one of forty members of the WHO European Net of Healthy Cities.
• 2000/2001 : Mayor of the City of Rijeka – the 1st mandate
• 2001/2005 : Mayor of the City of Rijeka – the 2nd mandate
• 2005/2009 : Mayor of the City of Rijeka – the 3rd mandate
• 2009/2013 : Mayor of the City of Rijeka – the 4th mandate
• 2013/2017 : Mayor of the City of Rijeka – the 5th mandate
Vojko Obersnel is a member of the Social Democratic Party (SPD). He’s married and has a son.
Additional information :
• Head of the Croatian delegation at the Committee of the Regions ;
• Member of the Managing Board of the International Association of Cities and Ports (AIVP) ;
• President of the Rijeka Tourist Board ;
• Member of the University of Rijeka Council ;
• Member of the Managing Council of the Rijeka Port Authority ;
• Member of the Managing Council of the Clinical Hospital Centre Rijeka.